View Single Post
Old 01-27-2022, 07:41 AM   #10
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default LFP Battery cell compression.

The formal testing was done by EVE on their own cells, but the results are widely agreed to be applicable to any other thin-wall rectangular cells. Compression keeps the sidewalls from expanding and contracting as much. In the test, compressed cells (around 12-14 PSI) had DOUBLE the lifespan of the uncompressed cell in the test - all subjected to the same "charge/discharge/recharge/repeat" regimen. IIRC, it was roughly 5000 cycles versus about 2500. They discharged them pretty deep.

Here's a pretty good photo of the concept, in which I used 4 compression springs to push steel plates into the large "faces" of some LFP cells. The small sides , and the top/bottom, do not need to be compressed separately to achieve the benefit (and the EVE test pressed only along the "big" faces of the cells.) Although I have used steel plates on my two "smaller" batteries, most people use 3/4" plywood. Cheaper and easier to work with.

For a plywood example, see https://diysolarforum.com/threads/pr...98/post-430244

One of my own battery packs (before adding a heater pad and wood "casing") is show in the attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	120ah-battery-ready-for-taping-and-case.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	20473