Thread: Equilizer Hitch
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 09:33 AM   #6
mtnguy

Jacob,

If you have the short bed F150 Crew Cab, then you and I have the same basic pickup......I have the Super Cab with a 6.5" bed, and your Crew Cab probably has a 5.5" bed, keeping close to the same wheelbases.

There has been a recent thread on WDH use on these sized pickups:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=7495

Mr. Adventure posted some information that I had written in a previous thread about the weight differences when adding 500 lbs. to your trailer hitch. The F150s that we use should pull the TM with no problem as long as you keep the tongue weight under the Ford recommended 500 lb. tougue weight carrying capacity of the factory hitch, and you kept the bulk of your extra camping weight as far forward of the rear axle as possible......being aware that on the F150 Crew Cab short beds the rear axle is foward of the center of the bed. But I am convinced that a WDH gives me a safer, smoother, and better handling trip while pulling the TM. I even adjust the chain lengths depending on the load in the TM and truck to try to get the best feel on the road.

I think a WDH with a 800 lb. tongue weight seems to be about the best size for our TMs.

Chap