View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There are a lot of good WDHs out there, and I don't think any poor ones - assuming you size it correctly. However, there is a wide range of prices. You can pay a bit over $200, or you can pay over $2000.

I would suggest that you start by looking at Reese or Draw-Tite hitches, and maybe Valley and Hidden Hitch as well. There are others, of course - many people like the Equal-I-Zer, but it is more expensive and has some disadvantages, so I don't go there.

As far as size, I would suggest 800 or 1000 pounds. Don't go any lighter than 800. And 1200 pounds is overkill. You will end up with a two-spring-bar hitch - the single-bar hitches are lighter weight, and sometimes pose problems with the fit.

By the way, the phrase "equalizer hitch" has become synonymous with "weight distributing hitch", much as the word "Kleenex" has become synonymous with "tissue". The phrase "equalizer hitch" does NOT imply the hitch made by the Equal-I-Zer company, although the Equal-I-Zer is one example of an equalizer hitch.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote