View Single Post
Old 02-23-2007, 11:07 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers
Also be aware that there is the weight limit for the trailer and there is a weight limit for trailer plus van plus people and everything in the van. Make sure you understand both limits and not just one limit. I won't quote terms like G???. I can never keep those things straight myself
Mike -

PopBeavers has made an extremely important point here, and we all tend to lose track of it. We think "My trailer weighs 3500 pounds, and the manufacturer says I can tow 3500 pounds, so I'm good to go, right?" The problem is that the vehicle manufacturer does NOT say you can tow 3500 pounds, he says you can tow 3500 pounds*. That little asterisk is lawyer-speak for "well, no, not really." Finding out precisely what that little asterisk means is quite a chore, because the manufacturers don't want you to know.

Not long ago, someone asked about towing with a Toyota RAV-4, with the same 3500-pound rating. I rummaged around the Toyota web site, and replied "On the Toyota web site, there is a craftily-hidden note under tow rating which says "The maximum you can tow depends on the total weight of any cargo, occupants and available equipment.""

The Honda web site also has an asterisk, and Honda is even more obscure about it. When you follow their asterisk trail, you find "Vehicle must have towing package, trailer must have brakes, consult owner's manual for further restrictions." And the owner's manual is not available on line. So I don't know what it says.

As PopBeavers noted, the actual tow rating is often specified for a vehicle with a driver, but no passengers, no cargo, no factory or dealer-installed options, and a nearly-empty gas tank. Those things can easily add 1000 pounds, and that weight must be subtracted from the tow capacity.

So at the very least, you should check your Odyssey Owner's Manual and see what the asterisk means. Maybe Honda is less devious than Toyota ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote