Thread: New to Forum
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2004, 07:51 AM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSH2112
Hello Everyone.

I am new to the forum and look forward to all your comments and suggestions. Let me start by telling you about myself and my plans.
I'll try not to be a windbag..

My wife and I are very serious about getting 'something' to go camping with.
We have looked at traditional pop-ups, trailers, and most recently the trailmanor - TM (I'll have to get used the lingo jargon and abbreviations on this site, so forgive).

Anyway, we are seriously considering the TM 3023, but not a brand new one - maybe 5 or so years old??

We have done the traditional camping thing in tents, and being with her aunt and uncle in the 5th wheel has really made us change our mind out tents. By no means am I ready for a 5th wheel, nor do I think I would want one.
This is our first 'camper' so I feel that a pop-up would be outgrown very quickly. For the most part it will be just us and our 2 year old golden retriever and soon to be golden puppy (so you can say it will be 2 adult dogs in a year.) I live in Pittsburgh and there are a couple different places we can 'escape' to within a couple hours for a nice long extended weekend. My wife likes the idea of a self-contained unit, but it wouldnt affect me either way. I am looking for room and comfort. I want to get a 'bigger' RV, but don't want to tow something TOO big. (I have NO experience towing, but probably will have to learn VERY fast. LOL).

There is an RV show coming to Pittsburgh in January that we are going to attend to get some ideas and we have a couple 'RV Lots' we can browse through also to get an idea.

Currently, we have a 1999 Dodge Durango SLT with a 5.2L V8 and a tow package (i dont know what kind, it was already installed). So here are my questions:
Welcome to our online community! Yes, it sounds like a TM would be a great choice for you. WRT questions:
Quote:
1) Is my vehicle 'good' enough to tow? What is the 'max' size can I tow?
Your Durango is easily capable of towing any size TM...even the largest 3326KS. No worries here.
Quote:

2) What do you recommend as 'first time' RV'ers?
Not sure exactly what you're asking for?
Quote:
3) Would I need to have anything installed on my Durango to tow an RV?
Make sure your "towing package" included a transmission cooler.

Beyond that you will need a trailer brake controller (hopefully there is a factory wiring harness already installed as part of the towing package that will make hooking up the controller a piece of cake). I strongly recommend either the Tekonsha Prodigy or the Jordan controllers...both provide trailer braking that's truly proportional to the amount of braking force you are applying to the tow vehicle's brakes. Other "inertia" controllers (e.g. Tekonsha Voyager) are fine on flat land but don't work very well in hilly/mountainous terrain (like around western PA). Do NOT install any of the low-cost "time delay" controllers.

A weight distributing hitch (WDH) will greatly improve the handling and attitude of your tow vehicle, especially if you are going to get one of the heavier TMs (e.g. 3023). By comparison to other TTs, TMs have a very high hitch weight relative to their total weight and, IMO, a WDH is mandatory. I even use a WDH with my half-ton truck. You will NOT need a sway control device, however.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote