View Single Post
Old 11-03-2007, 08:23 AM   #7
Larry_Loo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shleper View Post
I bought my wireless backup camera at Pep Boys. I paid $130.00 for it. Now is it reduced to $79.00 after rebate. I have it attached to my backup lights. Instructions informs me that I cannot have it on constantly because it would burn out the camera if it is on more than five minuites. It works great for me for hitching up.
Shleper, I know that wireless backup cameras aren't entirely wireless as they must be wired to a source of power, like one of the tail lights. I don't understand why the camera would burn out if it is left on for more than 5 minutes.

The hardwired backup cameras can be left on for a long time without suffering any disastrous consequences. My camera, for example, is on whenever the truck's ignition switch is turned on. Normally, my monitor's screen displays a selection of AM or FM stations or a menu selection of some kind. When I switch to backup camera or put my truck into reverse gear, the camera's image pops up on the monitor's screen. Actually, it still doesn't work when my truck is in reverse gear as I haven't made a final connection to the backup light switch (I haven't identified the switch and the downstream wire from it to the backup lights). What I did to make this system work was to install a single pole, double throw switch to provide an alternate source of DC current to the DVD-receiver's relay (?) that routes the camera's image to the monitor's screen. I've fastened a coil of 16 ga. wire from the second pole of the switch to a hardpoint near the firewall in the engine compartment. It awaits the day when I'll identify the backup light switch. The system works so well with the bypass switch, however, that I've probably relegated this final step to the bottom of my To-Do list. ;<)

I finally managed to tilt the camera downward sufficiently so that I can see the 2" ball on my hitch. Now, hooking up to the TM or any other trailer should be much easier as a one-person operation.

Currently, backup cameras are available on luxury sedans and some economy models made by Saturn, Suzuki, etc. I predict that they will be available as standard or optional equipment for all sedans and light trucks within 5 years.