View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
Larry_Loo

Talking Backup Camera Installation

For several years I've been interested in installing a backup camera in my pickup truck. When Jim Beletti posted his messages about his experiments with rear view cameras, I read them intently but they didn't give me detailed information about installing one in my truck. My current truck, a 2005 Dodge Ram with 20" wheels, sits 4" higher than my old F-150 and, therefore, has a much larger blind spot directly behind it. Because of this I've been a little fearful when backing out that I'd dent someones vehicle or, perish the thought, hit a little critter.

I finally decided to move this project to the top of my long list of projects and started researching the Internet for ways to do it. I concluded that my best method was to replace my truck's original AM-FM receiver with a Jensen DVD-AM-FM receiver and a fold-out monitor and install a Boyo license plate frame with built-in camera. My truck sat idle for over a week and a half during the installation - more than half of this time was spent in pondering or gathering information via the Internet or phone calls. It's finally completed, or, 98% done but it works well. Now I can see the area directly behind my raised tailgate - but not the hitch because I haven't yet found out how to tilt the camera downward. After I'm able to see the hitch in my monitor, it may be an invaluable aid for hitching up my TM.

The first photo shows the DVD-receiver unit with the monitor retracted. The second shows the monitor up and the camera activated. Finally, the third shows the fairly inconspicuous camera at the top of the license plate frame.

This particular camera has an f2.0 lens that provides very bright images, even at night. The downside of that open aperture, though, is that headlights of vehicles coming up to your rear tend to overpower the camera's image at night. As it approaches, the vehicle appears as a bright ball of light in the center of the frame - until it comes in very close and its outline becomes visible.

Since installing this camera my anxiety level has been much lower whenever I'm backing up in a shopping center's parking lot.

This Jensen DVD-receiver only has one video input and, therefore, can't be used to show the images from a second camera mounted on the rear of a TM. With another DVD-receiver unit that has two or more video inputs, one could easily run two camera cables to the rear of the tow vehicle and provide the second one with RCA plugs that mate with the TM camera's cable. The mating camera cable could be run in a split loom fabric conduit underneath the TM to a camera mounted on the trailer's rear bumper. That would avoid the problem of having to run the cable through or on the shells.

My apologies to electronic experts, like Bill or Rocky Mtn Ray, who might scoff at the length of time it took me to do it. This was my first mobile radio installation of any kind and many hours of my pondering were required before it was completed.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backup cam1.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	2373   Click image for larger version

Name:	backup cam2.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	2374   Click image for larger version

Name:	backup cam3.JPG