View Single Post
Old 09-01-2002, 09:38 AM   #4
Happytrails

Default Re: Replacement Refrigerator

Today I had to take the lower outside panel off to access that outlet to plug a carbon monoxide/propane gas detector to (It has a battery backup for dry camping btw). But while I was in there, I noticed the two wires (12v) that connected to the old fridge. I had totally forgotten about them. Would it be ok to hook the inverter up to those two wires, and maybe include a switch run to the outside so I don't ALWAYS have power going to the inverter, just while using it? Would this damage my converter by hooking into the 12v system at that junction? When I removed the old fridge, I simply cut the old wires, and capped them off with wire nuts, and taped them for good measure. DancinC, you should have the same two wires, a white one (hot) and a black one (ground) that come off that bundle of wires to the left of that compartment if you take off the lower access panel behind your fridge. They should be capped off much the same way. But I'd mainly be using it while in travelling mode, would this setup mess up my vehicle's charging system in any way as well?

I'm also tossing around the idea of using the gas line that went to my old fridge and route it through the lower vent and putting on a gas grill connection to be able to hook a gas grill up on the street side of the unit. Anyone with any thoughts on this idea as well?