View Single Post
Old 02-14-2023, 09:51 AM   #7
rich2468
Site Sponsor

I can certainly see the attractiveness of having the ability to remove an expensive power source and have it available for other (non-TrailManor) uses....but when I look at trying to use a Bluetti device as a replacement for a power source for a TrailManor I see a number of shortcomings:

1st As Shane called out, it needs a secure connection to supply 12 volt DC for the trailer brakes under tow. (There's no compromise on that fact)

2nd The Bluetti device under consideration (AC200Max) weighs 61 lbs with a 40 Amp Hour capacity and costs (as of 2/14/2023) $1600. (That's not a tremendous amount of electrical capacity for that weight or cost)

3rd Integration Concerns- You could simply plug in the TrailManor's Shore Power Plug into the Bluetti's 120Volt outlet, but it's a little absurd to charge a Direct Charge storage device by Altering Current to then later use it as a 120 Volt Alternating Current source for a TrailManor under boondocking scenario (where 95% of your power needs for your camper are likely to be 12 volt DC). You'd still have a 12 volt TM battery under this scenario and would loose additional energy efficiency at the TM power converter.

You could certainly come up with ways to directly wire the Bluetti to remove the TrailManor's power converter from use, but in going through all the effort I think you'd find that you lost the flexibility to easily remove the Bluetti device and in the end any cost benefit is completely lost.

Bluetti's have their place as portable power stations, but I don't think they're really well suited for this use case.

Rich and Lynn
2021 2922KB

420Ah LiFePO4 battery bank, kilowatt solar, 3K Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter, DC-to-DC Charger, Sealand 711-M28 toilet, Maxxis 8008 Load Rated E
rich2468 is online now   Reply With Quote