View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
We inadvertently tested our Prodigy brake setting with a scary emergency stop. The TV was pushed ahead and to the side slightly by the trailer, so obviously our setting (about 5.5) wasn't high enough. But like others I couldn't set the Prodigy high enough to get them to lock up manually during testing.

I suppose you could keep trying emergency stops at different settings until you find one where the TV and trailer do not jack-knife, but that's pretty hard on everything.

Currently we use a Prodigy setting of 7.5-8 based more on concerns about TV brake fade on long downhills. At this setting the TV's rear drums are very roughly the same temp as the trailer's during long descents. At lower settings the trailer's are a lower temp and vica-versa.

This setting (7.5-8) is certainly better than 5.5 for emergency stops as well, but I don't know for sure whether it will prevent jack-knifing. That will have to wait for our next emergency stop.

I, too, cannot achieve any wheel lockup on dry pavement no matter where I set the controller. Currently, I set it for "9" on dry pavement and dial it back to 7.5 in the rain on the theory that I really don't want wheel lockups anyway.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote