View Single Post
Old 04-22-2022, 12:42 PM   #8
lcastell

Default Speaker Wire Fix, Details

Bill,

Thanks for the kind words and here are a few more details.

To troubleshoot the issue, I did the following:
* Checked for continuity from the speaker wires at the radio
- These both showed as open
* Test the wires from where the radio goes to the back of the refrigerator
- These tested good
- Now I know there's an issue from there to the speakers
* Raised the upper shell, cut the speaker wires where they go up from the snake to the crown molding
- Checked continuity from there to the speakers
- Both showed a resistance of about 4 ohms; thus, the wires from there to the speakers are good. Yay! No need to remove the crown molding in the camper. Whew.

At this point, I now knew the wires through the snake are where the problems are. At this point I go to Home Depot and buy 25 feet of the smallest gauge speaker wire they have, some 3M Indoor/Outdoor rated electrical tape, butt splices rated for the proper gauge of wire (18?) and some 3/8" cable clamps.

To replace the wire in the snake, the goal is using the old speaker wires for pulling the new ones through the snake. This is done by first stripping both wires back an inch or so, securely connecting them together and then wrapping in electrical tape. This helps keep them from snagging when going through the snake.

At this point, pulling on the old wire from the back of the refrigerator doesn't work. It turns out the original installation had tape wrapped around all the cables in the bundle in about 3 places. I ended up cutting the snake cover in two places, removing the tape and also using those as places to pull the cable. This made it easier to do so.

To finish things up:
* Finish pulling new wires through snake
* Connect new wires to ones coming from the radio at the back of the refrigerator
* Use the good indoor/outdoor electrical tape to cover up where the snake cover was cut
* Butt splice the wires going up the side of the upper shell
* Put the speakers back in the wire mold and do my best to snap it back in place
* Use the cable clamps for cleaning up some of the other wires
* Done
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna cable.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	20752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	20753   Click image for larger version