View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeded View Post
Hi B_and_D,
Thanks for the tip! I am located in Sacramento, CA area. If any Trailmanor owner lives here and would like to help me with looking at it, I would appreciate it. Lunch is on me!
I realize I would not be able to check everything on that trailer, so would like to concentrate on most important/cost intensive repair parts/appliances to check for. What are the most expensive repairs/accessories I should check for proper operations?

Thanks again.
Fridge (on 12v, 110v and propane), water heater, furnace and stove......in that order,

Just face the fact that you will probably have to put on new tires (I recommend installing a lift kit and 15" tires & wheels if it doesn't have them already), have the wheel bearings replaced and battery.....add $1,000 to the $5K and it's still cheap (if it doesn't have wood-rot somewhere).

Ask the owner to set it up and turn the fridge on propane the night before you get there. Ask him to put a bowl of water in the freezer. If it freezes, your good to go on the fridge (on propane)........don't know what to tell you about the 12v and 110v side. If the propane side works, the rest probably does too.

When you get there, have him light the water heater (be sure it is full of water), it either works or it doesn't. You will see the big flame in the chamber, like a rocket taking off.

Have him turn on the furnace. It should work by turning on a switch at the bottom of the thermostat, then turn the thermo up. It will take a few seconds to light. The blower will come on 1st but be sure that it puts out hot air.

Turn on the water pump, run the water and be sure there are no leaks.

Look at the plumbing pipes behind the left front tire and make sure nothing is broken (it will be obvious if it is). Run the water in the sink and let it go down the drain for ~5 minutes. Then look under the trailer, behind the axle to see if the holding tank leaks.

Have the owner show you how to put the trailer up and fold it down several times, until you are comfortable that everything works and fits right (shower walls, entry door etc).

Lastly........don't screw around because if it's a good deal, it will be gone. I just sold a '98 2720 for $8K and could have gotten more. However, the tires, bearings, brakes, batteries ($300 worth) on that trailer was less than a year old. I put down new floors, inverter, converter and A/C all within the last 2 years.