View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 08:52 PM   #20
M&M Hokie

For my Tundra and Sienna, Towing Rating does not equal GCWR-GVWR. My Tundra has a GVWR of 7100, a GCWR of 16000, and a Towing Rating of 10300. My Sienna has a GCWR of 8700, a GVWR of 5690, and a Tow Rating of 3500.

What is the weight of your TV after you load it with people, cargo, and tongue weight? Are you pushing the 4985? Back when I was towing with a Sienna, I was able to lighten the TM to the 3500 range (eliminated all optional cabinets, no water, left optional things at home, etc) but I was so payload limited on the Sienna it was a pain. If I tow 3500 with my Sienna, I have to limit my GVWR to 5200. If the tongue weight is around 500 pounds, the Sienna, passengers, and cargo had to weigh <4700. The day I did a Sienna loaded for camping it came in at 4460 without me or any passengers. Ultimately I was able to downsize what was packed to meet all requirements but I was basically at the limit across the board and did not have the luxury of bringing my generator, pop-up, white water, and I removed two seats from the Sienna. It was doable but required a lot more bookkeeping, weighing, and calculation than one wants to do for a vacation.