View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
larsdennert

Lots of good advice. IMO tires are the weak point. Watch that tire pressure and keep it at 50psi though I don't know what model you have. Buy a small compressor like a TruckAir or get a "real" one like a Sun Quickair or Viair. I went to 15" wheel and higher load tires. I don't know which model you have though. Um, take tools to change a tire. The Toyota lug wrench won't fit a TM.

Take lots of spare nuts and bolts in both sheet metal and mech thread too along with basic hand tools. Most people don't take their TM off pavement like I do (there are a few here though). I've broken the pin on a release lever because it wasn't properly spot welded from the factory. I had a nut and bolt that fit perfect to reattach it on the trail. Without that I'd have had a loose shell a would be able to close the TM. Other stuff has come loose but nothing serious at all.

I use my Yamaha 2400 generator extremely rarely. If it is hot enough for AC I'm usually at a hookup anyway. You don't need much generator to fill the batteries. 30A @ 12V is 3A @120V. Get a small one if you are inclined to buy. Auto parts stores often sell small portable ones for a couple hundred. Even at 30ah recharge it would take 6 hours to fill up deep cycle batteries. Keep that in mind! The 6V batteries are great but I'd go with 12V deep cycle ones to replace them. Redunancy. My truck charges the TM nicely on the road! I turn off the headlights to reduce strain on the alternator. I think I have a 55A. Take plenty of fuses for the 30A battery main. I swapped mine to a circuit breaker as the fuse holder would get really hot.

You have two propane tanks? They last a couple weeks in cold weather and forever in hot. PV has been tempting but for the trips I do the batteries last or I'm running something off the generator to recharge them.

Water lasts if you don't take showers and are careful dishwashing. I'm used to camping for 10 days with a five gallon jug. FYI In an emergency if you are out of water there is 6 gallons in the water heater that can be drained into a container using the outside drain. It can't be pumped out.

Yea I've set my fridge to high and froze stuff in it. That'll only happen on propane and maybe AC. 12V isn't strong enough.

If you will be in hook up sites most of the time then you have little to worry about for water, sewer and power. You can run the water heater on AC too and save propane though it uses very little anyway.

Four bikes will swing back there. Strap em down good and back to the bumper corners. Kids bikes are heavy! We carry two "light" bikes and a kiddie trailer and you know they are back there. The rack is heavy too.

You'll want a fresh water hose with a regulator, A slinky hose (I use a sewersolution.com though I carry the slinky too)

Alaska is beautiful. I've spent time in Glenn Allen and Anchorage. Enjoy the TM. Last weekend we went tent camping for the first time in a year and now with our second child, a nine month old.

The road was a bit too severe to take the TM so we left it at home. Sheesh we missed the TM. Tent camping with two little kids is really tough.