Thread: Tow Capacity ?s
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 08:16 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jan -

I understand and respect your concern for the improved gas mileage of a Sienna vs a "larger tow vehicle". And there is no doubt that you are right - up to a point. But it is important not to value this factor above all others.

Consider this. If you drive 12,000 miles a year, as most people do, then:

A Sienna with 21 mpg all the time will burn 12,000 miles / 21 mpg = 571 gallons of gas.

A "larger tow vehicle" with 15 mpg all the time will burn 12,000 miles / 15 mpg = 800 gallons of gas.

The difference is an extra 230 gallons of gas per year, which will cost you an extra $575 per year at $2.50/gal.

So if you buy a larger tow vehicle and spend that extra $575 for gas, what do you get in return? Well, if you save gas money with the smaller vehicle, but you need a tranny rebuild because the vehicle is overstressed while towing, it costs a lot more than $575. Same if you burn out an engine. Or a rear end, for that matter. These other factors need to be factored into your choice. There are others (such as tire life on the tow vehicle), but they are smaller. Drivetrain considerations are most important, I think.

I'm not saying that you have to have a huge tow vehicle. I AM saying that if you opt for a smaller tow vehicle, you need to be really careful about how you use it. I have heard of people who run the engine up to 6,000 RPM so that they can maintain speed going up a grade. Macho? Oh yes you bet! Smart? Maybe not. If you need to drop the road speed to 35-40 mph, then do it, and let people honk and pass you by. The embarassment beats an engine rebuild.

Just my opinion - many may disagree. But I am reminded of a friend who bought Prius and bragged for 2 or 3 years about the 50 mpg he got. Then, after the warranty expired, the battery in his Prius failed - as it was expected to do. Replacing the battery cost him FAR MORE than the amount he saved on gas over those same years. I am all for savings - but they need to be REAL savings, not flashy up-front stuff.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote