Thread: Tow Capacity ?s
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #9
Mr. Jan Rooks

Minivan and a TM3023 from Michigan to Florida

A minivan can still do the job of being a tow vehicle for a Trailmanor 3023 if one keeps fuel economy and low tow vehicle cost in mind. What other reasons are there for buying a Trailmanor? My issue with a larger tow vehicle is that it gets POOR gas mileage ALL the time; to and from work and on vacation. The worst the Toyota Siena did on the trip was to slow down to 60 mph in third gear going up a very long (4 mi.) hill in the Kentucky Mountains. This slight loss of time is off set by the 21 mph without the trailer and around 15 in the hills of Tennessee and Kentucky and 17 on the flats of Florida. The Toyota Siena towed the trailer best a 70 mph. without jumping out of overdrive except on the hills. The Toyota Siena does have a 194 hp, 24 valve DOHC engine with fuel injection and a 4 speed automatic trans with overdrive as well as a transmission oil cooler and electric brake controler. It out performs my previous van, a 1989 Plymouth Voyager with only 12 valves and 3 speed trans.

I did add a Drawtite single arm weight equalizing hitch that is meant for a 400 lb tongue weight. It worked great and only adds 53 lbs to total vehicle load instead of 90 lbs for a 2 bar equalizer system.

The trip was from Troy, Michigan to St. Petersburg Beach, Florida. 1225 miles down I-75. The Trailmanor 3023 is a 1996 that was used only a few times be the previous owner. It still had original tires on it that looked unused. I replaced one of them for $64 ever though it did not have any cracks in the side walls. The trailer made it to Florida and back without blowing the older tire.

J. Rooks