View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 05:47 AM   #3
Jim-NY

Default Look for one in a place you have a friend.

Angler,

I can understand what you are going through. When I decided to buy a used TM last year, I found it difficult to find one that was: 1) in good condition, 2) near me, and 3) for what I wanted to pay. Eventually I found one in an area where I knew people and asked them to look at it. While they were inspecting it I was on the phone asking questions based on what I had learned in this forum. If they had a digital camera, they could have e-mailed me photos. They were not professional RV inspectors, but one owns a motor home and the other had good eyes and nose. So they smelled to make sure it was ok. They told me about any visible defects they could see. And I asked them to try appliances, awning etc. They were also able to size up the seller. They told me they appeared to be an honest God fearing retired couple with a well cared home and clean garage. Then I negotiated a very good price over the phone with the owner. I installed a hitch and drove up and picked it up a few weeks later.

You might also be interested in how I found them. I searched this forum and other on line RV sites and after not finding what I wanted I expanded my on line search to include newspaper classifieds on line. I found one that had been advertised only in a very rural penny saver. The ad had not been run for several weeks. The owner still had it unsold and was ready to lower his price.

Jim