View Single Post
Old 06-18-2005, 07:11 PM   #7
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by one504
Wow! Mr. dealer said "you can tow anything with that Durango"

Unfortunately, I've got the 3.55's but I do have the towing package, so I've got an extra tranny cooler. Looks like I'll need to invest in a re-gear, as all of my trips would be taking me over a mountain range (Coast or Cascade's).
RV Dealers will tell potential customers that virturally any vehicle will work fine...tow anything. I even overheard a TM dealer tell a potential buyer that his Suzuki Grand Vitara would tow a TM fine...even in Colorado with its high altitudes and steep grades.

That being said, I too was rather surprised at the remarkably low tow capacity for the Durango...intitially when I saw you had the 4.7 V8 (which is really a pretty powerful engine), I didn't think much about your Durango's capabilities since I knew the corresponding Dakota with that engine has decent towing capacity. It wasn't until I started running the numbers that I saw how low the real capacity was when equipped with the 3.55 gears. Clearly the Durango is a heckuva lot heavier than even a Dakota Quad Cab...must be all that extra glass, seating, and other amenities that people expect in a SUV versus a pickup.

So do plan on a regearing...it's not that traumatic (I had my 4WD Tundra regeared from 3.91 to 4.30) and the improvement in general acceleration and particularly towing capability is astounding.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote