View Single Post
Old 06-17-2005, 04:48 PM   #3
tritterbrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by one504
I have *zero* camping experience, other than a couple of stints with the 82nd Airborne - but now I've got 3 kids (6mos., 4 & 4 1/2) and the wife and I are getting the bug. We live in western Oregon, so it's easy for us to take off on a friday and either be in the mountains or on the beach, in a few hours.
We don't have kids (the dog will argue this point) so I can't give you direct experience. However, I do suggest not getting the SL version so that you'll have the front bed and the dinette.
Quote:
I was originally interested in a 4x4 conversion van (Sportsmobile), but then I ran across TM. I had never even considered a trailer, mostly due to storage and hassles of towing, but these things are about 1/3 the price of a van and the 2720 will fit in my garage (unfortunately, the 3023 will not). Not to mention the extra room!
We also looked closely at Sportsmobile and even went to the factory in TX. Awesome machines but we decided that truck and TM are a much more cost effective and flexible setup.
You'll be pushing it with the 3023. I did a quick check and it looks like you have a 116" wheelbase. The recommendations (conservative) that I've seen are 110" for 20' and then another foot of trailer for every 4" of wheelbase. I know that RockyMTN Ray has posted some calculations on the site but I was unable to pull them up in my searching. Also, if you have the 4x4 package then it looks like you have a max tow rating of 4400, true? Search the site and you'll see lot's of talk about weight, wheelbase and towing capacity.
Quote:
We're going to look at a 2720 this weekend, so I'll hopefully be a little smarter - but I'd love to hear from anyone who has an opinion on this model for 2 adults & 3 kids. I think the big things for us is beds and a bathroom - I can't imagine we would even do much cooking in it, except in bad weather. My TV is an '02 Durango with the 4.7 V8.
Whatever you get, make sure you have comfortable living space outside. We've got a 10' screen room so that we can spend more time outside without having to fog the forest. Also, closely read the discussions on the TM toilet. I hope that other members who travel with kids will weigh in on the capacity of the toilet.
Quote:
thanks!