View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #18
MisterP

Some years ago I read an article (that I can't find now) that spoke about the misconception that RVs are built in automated factories like automobiles. The author stated that people who had never owned a RV often claimed that all the units should have nearly identical fit and finish.

His purpose to the article was to show that despite all the technology that may go into a RV, the units are still handmade, and subject to the quality of the builders. For many manufacturers, the units are built by teams, and the quality depends on the skill of a team.

There is no way to automate RV construction. All manufacturers build with an expected completion time or duration. Excessive rework for perfection might be normal for a million dollar unit. It won't keep a bullder of forty thousand dollar units in business.

I sold a fifth wheel toy hauler after three years because of a lack of confidence in it due to shoddy workmanship. It cost a lot more than our TM (which is our second). What was wrong with that trailer would fill a page. And this from a major manufacturer of several different types of RVs. Spending more won't necessarily get you a better vehicle.

These are my opinions, and to some degree the opinions of the article I read. I have never spoken with the manufacturers about their quality standards and percentage of rework allowed. I suspect they try to be consistent, and deal with the exceptions as they come.