Thread: Off Roading
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
Septemberdude

Default lift kit for 2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
Ned, some will caution about picking up lots of dust on the inside of your TM if you do much dirt-road towing. The seals around the bottom of the unit may not be snug, so you can get dust in that way. Also, the refrigerator vent allows some dust in. I don't have problems, and I do plenty of off-pavement travel, but each unit is different.

Some TMs have been "lifted" with a 2" or 4" steel lift kit. If yours has the lift kit (there will be an extra 2" square or 2" x 4" steel tube added above your axle on each side of the trailer), you may have room for larger tires. Make sure that there is room between the new tire and the trailer skirt and frame, as some wheels will be wider, and thus the tires will be wider, that the wheel well.

If you already have the lift kit, and 15" tires, you may not need larger tires. I have a 2417, and I only have 13" tires. I added the lift, and have been able to 4-wheel with my Grand Cherokee, and have not had problems. I do some rougher Forest Service roads in the Rockies, so you should be able to do your trips to the beach with little, if any, issue.

Basically, I look at the clearance of the tow vehicle, and if the trailer has at least 1" more clearance at the axle, you should be good. Yes, more clearance gives you more leeway for going through dips and over humps, but your TV may have less clearance that your TM already. Just be sure to tow the TM level; not nose-up or nose-down.

Good luck!
New to TM so please excuse what may seem ignorant but does TM offer the lift kit you mention? We are thinking of the 2417 and will be traveling on Forest Service roads. TM now comes with 14" tires. Should we consider lift kit and 15"? We are towing with a 4WD new Ford Escape with tow package installed. Thanks.