View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Sure this has been discussed in some other thread, but I can't find it.

My TV has an almost new tire with a big nail in it and a leak. Will plugging it (from the inside) make it good enough? The nail is right in the center of the tread, not in the sidewall.
In my biz, the term "plugged" means a rubber or corded plug inserted from the outside of the tire.

A 'patch' is placed on the inside of the tire (which is what you want)

What you really want is called a 'patch insert' (sometimes called a patch/plug combo). It has a rubber insert built onto the patch.......and is all installed from inside the tire after it is dismounted.

The insert fills up the hole in the tire....... to keep dirt, water, etc from entering the tire from the outside. The patch seals the tire from the inside. The tire technician will first drill the damaged area out with a special bit, sized to fit the particular patch/insert to be used. This will round the hole out and remove any wire, belts, etc.....before installing the insert. He'll then buff the inside liner of the tire for the patch part. The last step is to apply the glue (let it set), then pull the insert thru the hole until the patch makes contact with the inner liner.

A patch/insert is the only RMA (Rubber Manufacturers Association) approved method to repair tires.

Using a "plug" voids a manufacturers warranty.

Here is what it looks like: