View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
I have a 2008 2720 TM purchased new. Unfortunately I had a slight accident with the forward roof section(a freaky mistake). The accident resulted in an approx. 6" straight cut in the aluminum on the forward section of the roof in a flat area. The cut is only through the exterior aluminum sheet and slightly into the foam core(approx. 1/8" deep). The roof is not distorted at all and the interior aluminum sheet has not been damaged or distorted at all.

Does anyone have an idea as to the best way to make a repair or has anyone made a repair on damage similar to mine? Obviously I would like the repair to be as close to new as possible. The factory said they could replace the panel for approx. $5,000 or they may be able to cover with a sheet of aluminum. I do not plan to replace the panel nor do I think it necessary.
How wide is the cut?

If it's under about 1" wide, it could easily be filled with 3M 5200 adhesive. It takes about 3 days to partially cure and about 30-days to fully cure. It would be a simple matter of filling the void with a caulking gun. Then take a putty knife and smooth it out. Clean up is done with mineral spirits. The color is close to an exact match but if you want to sand and paint it, that can be done after it is fully cured.

It will withstand expansion and contraction from temp changes. It will also withstand flexing and vibration. It hardens to a very hard rubber consistency and nothing that I know of, adheres like that stuff does.