View Single Post
Old 07-15-2022, 07:15 AM   #6
live4fun

Default Thanks for All the Good Information

I really appreciate all the good replies to this issue. On this trip, I could have bought my Yeti-Like cooler but chose not to for some reason. I guess I really didn’t think of that over night situation without any 120v A-C power. Had I brought and cooled down the Yeti, I could have taken the really perishable food and placed it in the Yeti while leaving the refrigerator go warm.
The Victron Orion DC-DC is an interesting solution but after reading the Victron specs it looks like that would charge my Lithium batteries from my truck alternator while driving only. When I stopped over night, lets say, then the Dometic would stay in the DC mode and drain the lithium batteries again without opening up the TM and switching to propane setting. But I really like the idea for charging the lithium batteries during transit. I do plan to put solar on the roof this fall which will additionally help me out. Just a note? Do you think the Victron DC-DC would charge faster and better (while driving) than 300W of solar panels on the roof in the sun? Interesting thought.
I think my best bet is the solar (since I was going to do that anyways) to continuously charge my batteries during most driving and camping. Then if I anticipate a situation like I just experienced, then I would ice down my perishables in the Yeti and purchase more refrigerated food items when I was closer to my camping designation. Often times with I stop over night, at say friends/family houses, I have run 120v extensions cords to the TM just for the refrigerator. That worked for me.
Thanks again for all the ideas and help. Much Appreciated!
live4fun is offline   Reply With Quote