View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 06:33 PM   #16
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Have said before I've towed a lot more with a lot less. Key here is "if you have to ask" then we have to assume little experience and must provide a very conservative answer.

Mentioned before that I had a friend who towed a 69 T/A on a tandem trailer behind a S10 with a 2.8 and a 5 speed from California to Florida. Didn't say he had to rebuild the 2.8 almost immediately after.

Have mentioned that my 2720SL tows nicely behind my '12 Grand Cherokee with V6. Don't really need that much HP if you have the right gears. What you do need in a TV is a proper hitch (2" class III min with Bargman), rear axle that can handle a 400-500 lb tongue weight (TMs tend to be nose heavy, designed that way to be more stable), and enough cooling to keep oil and trans temps down (I tend to drive on the temp guage and can monitor coolant, oil, and trans temps on the road).

So for a newbie asking, I'd say 500 lb min tongue and 5000 lb hitch/axle rating with a factory towing package. Given that my measured tongue weight was 460 lbs I'd say a 450 lb rating would be "marginal".

OTOH if someone says "I have an X and can't afford something else but have done a lot of towing" then I'd look at the specs and advise what would be needed (and if the expected OAT is over 90 then more is good).

Does that make more sense ? Will admit that sometimes I/we just make an assumption from how the question is asked and have to consider that in Orlando at least the phone book has more lawyers than doctors.

ps I've never had a 4WD/AWD vehicle.