View Single Post
Old 10-07-2023, 08:15 AM   #7
Larryjb
TrailManor Master

If the position of the lift arm in the torsion bar has changed, that will push lift arm in a different position relative to the torsion bar, whether it is in the vertical configuration (shell is up), or horizontal (shell is down). If the lift arm has been adjusted too high, the lift arm will have been placed higher up on the end of the torsion bar, increasing the distance between the bend of the torsion bar and the bottom of the lift arm. When the shell is lowered, that pushes the lift arm right or left as well.

In your pictures, it looks as if the shell has been raised too high on the torsion bar, so that the distance from the torsion bar is greater. This has pushed the lift arm to the right in your first two pictures, and to the left in your last two pictures.

I would draw a couple of diagrams to illustrate this, but I don't have the time just now. I could probably draw one later today if you wish.

If there is a problem with the bracket that holds the torsion bar below, this might also cause a problem here. From the sounds of things, your pivots in the shell are okay. If they were bad enough to cause the kind of misalignment you have pictured, there would have been obvious damage to the shell, so I think those pivots are probably fine.

For now, it looks like some one has adjusted the shells too high at one point.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote