Thread: Tire Loads
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2004, 01:07 PM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Something I've Noticed!

Those are good points Jeff and one other factor that's almost always overlooked (particularly on a newer SUV or truck) is whether the tires are P series (Passenger car) or LT series (Light Truck). There are two primary differences between the two types: load capacity in a given tire size and sidewall stiffness...the LT tires have more load capacity and noticeably stiffer sidewalls.

You've fully addressed the load capacity so I won't repeat.

But the sidewall stiffness does need to be looked at. The stiffer sidewalls of the LT tires are important for towing because they greatly reduce the side to side sway/wiggle of the rear of the tow vehicle. Before I bought my Tundra I learned in various online forums that the stock tire...the P series BF Goodrich "Rugged Trails"...was not a good tire for towing. So as soon as I left the dealer's lot with my new truck, I went straight to Discount Tire and had the stock tires replaced with Michelin LTX M/S...a high mileage, stiffer sidewall light truck tire that had garnered good reports for stability in towing. Because the OEM tires only had 85 miles on them...and my salesman came along to do a little pressuring on the tire store...I got a very decent $50 per tire credit for the OEM tires.

The dirty little secret of the auto industry is that almost all SUVs and half ton pickups come standard with P series tires. So why don't trucks and SUVs come with Light Truck tires? Simple...the LT tires ride somewhat more harshly than P-series tires and buyers are usually looking for a supple soft ride, especially during test drives. Also, P-series tires are somewhat less expensive for the manufacturer and most buyers never realize there is a better option.

How do you tell what you have? Look at the size numbering on the side of the tire. If it starts with a "P" (e.g. P245/65-16) it's a passenger car tire. If it starts with "LT" (e.g. LT245/65-16), it's a light truck tire.

Final note...being called as an "all terrain" or "off road" tire and having an aggressive tread pattern has little or nothing to do with whether or not the tire is a P series or LT series. The P series OEM "Rugged Trails" certainly looked rugged enough and most folk find they do adequately off road...but they're not a very good tire for towing because of the soft sidewall.

My bottom line: if you tow with an SUV or truck, you need an LT series tire on the tow vehicle.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote