View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #8
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstrand100 View Post
I have been towing with a 2012 Tacoma Double Cab 4 X 4 SR5 V6 for two years with two different TMs, a 2720SL and now with a 3124KS. The Taco came with the factory V6 Tow Package: Class IV Towing Receiver Hitch, Transmission and Supplemental Oil Coolers, 130 Amp Alternator, Heavy Duty Battery, 7-pin connector w/Converter, and Trailer Sway Control. This gives the my Taco a tow rating of 6400 pounds. I did add a brake controller; as the Taco was wired for it, the installation was easy. I initially added McKesh mirrors so I could see a wider rear view but replaced them with after-market remote controlled mirrors which replaced the OEM mirrors on the Taco. I use a WD/sway control hitch. The TM is easily towed with the Taco. I average about 13-14 mpg when towing, and I don't use OD if I am in hilly country because the Taco wants to downshift out of OD a lot. I have mirrors to sell if you are interested.
Dstrand, may I ask what type/brand of WD setup are you using? I've been lurking for a while and just joined because we are looking to move up from a Coleman tent/pop-up and we have decided the Trailmanor is the best bet for our requirements. One of those being ability to safely tow with the existing 2007 Tacoma (V6 PreRunner with factory tow package).

So I was trying to estimate whether it could handle the 2720 OK or look for a smaller TM. Do you get a lot of rear sag with either the 27 or the 31? I've heard weak rear leaf springs are a problem for some Tacoma owners and mine does not have the upgraded springs. Does your WD setup pretty much take care of this well enough.

Mine has the TRD Sport package shocks and suspension and I've never really noticed any sag problems, but then again the most it has ever been loaded down is the maybe 200 lb tounge wt of the pop-up plus a bed full of assorted camping gear.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote