Thread: Extended
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I share Tracey's thought, with a few extensions.
First, the TM is made up of two parts - the frame/axle/walls/roof, and the appliances. It is unlikely that there will be a failure in the first, because the parts are generally pretty rugged and not very complicated. A big event, such as crash, will be covered by your car insurance or a policy that you buy from (probably) your car insurance company. So an extended warranty, even if it covers those things, won't buy you much.

A failure in the appliances is more likely. They carry their own individual warranties from their manufacturer, which generally last from 1 to 3 years. During that time, an extended warranty won't do a thing for you, because the manufacturer's warranty takes precedence.

If there is a failure in the time beyond the manufacturer's warranty, that's when an extended warranty might kick in (you need to understand the fine print in detail). RV appliances are expensive, but $1200 will buy a lot of brand new appliances. In other words, it would pay for itself only if you had multiple (probably 3 or more) catastrophic failures during that time. That is certainly possible, but I think highly unusual.

Also to be considered - if the refrigerator, for example, fails during year 4, will the extended warranty pay for a brand new refrigerator (about $400)? Or will it pay only some depreciated value (much less than $400)? Read your fine print!

Finally, Good Sam seems to have a comprehensive extended warranty called Continuing Service Plan which, if I recall, pays full repair or replacement cost, at about the same cost. I don't have it because I, too, am skeptical about these things. But you might look into it, just to compare.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote