View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 09:49 PM   #10
grakin

I pull with a Chevy 2500 - no problems at all. I used to pull with a Chevy 1500, and that most definitely could have used a weight distributing hitch (it was a very light 1500 - the v6), as it had more bounce than I was comfortable with.

That said, I don't like the way that some roads seem to set the TM and TV bouncing even with the 2500 and have been debating off and on about different options, such as a weight distributing hitch. I'm a bit leery of the WD hitch though, because of the additional weight it puts on the wheels, and I don't feel like it's a safety issue - it's more of a comfort issue, for me.

I've towed about 10,000 miles so far with the TM, in a total of about 6 months of ownership.

That said - I'll let others correct me if I'm speaking without knowledge here (I probably am) - you can always hitch up to a TM and see how "flat" your vehicle appears when hitched. Both the TM and the TV should be "level" (one way to test this: turn your headlights on, mark where they hit a wall a few feet away from the front of the TV; then lower the TM onto the TV, while in the same spot, and see how much your lights move; also measure the height of your front bumper before and after, as that's exactly the ideal distance your headlight pattern on the wall should move; if it moves much at all, you might want a WD hitch). If everything is flat, I don't think you need to worry too much. Just be careful not to exceed any of your weight ratings on your ball or receiver (I've noticed many have a 500 pound weight carrying tongue weight limit - which is a bit iffy I think for a TM).