Thread: Tow Equalizers
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2007, 12:38 PM   #7
idaho-steve

The WDH hitch issue has been discussed quite a bit in lots of previous posts. Personally, I think that for the most part it comes down to a personal margin-of-safety issue--like wearing a seat belt, changing the batteries in the smoke detectors 1x/year, buying life insurance, etc. The TM is in fact very easy to tow so you can pretty easily do without a WDH. The question really is for that occasional emergency -- tire blowing on a steep downhill, sudden road debris, etc.

In my personal case, I had a few thousand miles towing without a WDH with no trouble at all. I finally decided after reading a lot of posts that a WDH was a good safety investment. Last November I had a small herd of deer run right in front of me on the interstate. I was able to swerve hard and miss two and run over the third. I DEFINITELY feel that the $350 or so had spent on the WDH was a sound investment in my case and in this instance. Perhaps I would have been OK without but I am pretty convinced that I saved far more than the price of the WDH that evening.

Regarding the pit stop idea, I'd definitely echo the comments about using a rest stop. If my TM is not level fore and aft, the shells can be rather heavy to pop up on the low side.

Enjoy your TM.

Steve