View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 09:08 PM   #3
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Yes, it works well for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis
We are currently considering purchasing a 2720SL 1999 TM and have a question concerning the refridgerator. Is it possible to run the refridgerator using the TV battery while traveling?
Thanks!
Bob's experience not withstanding, I've had excellent results running the refrigerator on DC while traveling with my '02 2720SL. And yes, contrary to Bob's supposition, it works just fine with my trailer which does have the battery in the back. In fact, prior to installing solar panels, I was getting around 5 amps of charge (not discharge as Bob and Bill found) to the battery when the trailer is hooked up to the tow vehicle and the refrigerator is running on DC. Now that I have solar panels, I get around 10 amps of charge to the battery under those circumstances.

As the old saying goes, "Your Mileage May Vary". Some (like Bob) get major discharge from the TM battery while traveling and thus are forced to use alternative means (like "blue ice") to keep their refrigerator cold. Others (like me) not only can run the refrigerator on DC while traveling but can also get a recharge of the TM battery at the same time. I have had such a good experience running the refrigerator on DC while traveling that I've never needed "blue ice"...yet I always arrive at my destination (even after a full day of travel in 90 degree temps) with a fully charged TM battery, properly frozen ice cream, and unmelted ice cubes to put into my end-of-day Martini.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote