View Single Post
Old 03-08-2005, 07:04 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jess -

All good questions.

The unit you saw probably said "Cruise America" in big splashy letters? They are great rigs. We rented two or three of them when the kids were small, and were never displeased. That might be your introduction to camping-on-the-road. In fact, we decided that if we enjoyed it so much, we ought to get a rig of our own. When we explained what we needed to a local RV dealer, he said (bless his heart) "you want a Trail Manor". He was right.

Speed on the road? In a dozen cross-country trips, we have learned to let the 18-wheelers be our guide. As we head east across the plains of Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, etc, the big rigs are doing 65-70, so we do, too. When we cross the line into Illinois, then Indiana, the big rigs suddenly slow to 58 mph. So do we. In Pennsylvania, it picks up again. Those guys are out there every day, and they know the "real" speed limit. And if a cop won't stop a big rig, he probably won't stop you as you tag along behind.

Planning ahead? Assuming you are on your way somewhere, and just looking for a place to sleep for a night a two, get yourself a copy of the Big Book of Campgrounds. There are two of them, one from Good Sam, one from Woodall's, equally good. Any Barnes&Noble, Borders, or RV dealer will have them. They not only list campgrounds, locations, rates, amenities, site sizes, hookups, phone numbers, and driving directions, but they quality-rate them on a fairly comprehensive scale. You wouldn't want to stay in a 5-5-5 campground, and you'll never find a 10-10-10 campground. We tend to look for something above 8-8-8. About 2 hours before you want to stop, pull out the book, look for campgrounds in the area where you will be in two hours, and start calling on your cell phone. This virtually always works. Of course, you have to be smart about this - if you are headed for Disney at Christmas, it most likely WON'T work. But that's no surprise. Some campgrounds want a credit card number over the phone, some don't. If they do, I give them the first half of the number, tell them I will call back in 10 minutes with the second half, when I am in a different cell phone area. We have never had one fail to understand our reluctance to give the complete number over the phone.

For the occasional time when I call so late that nobody answers the phone, we go to our chosen campground anyway. Most of them (especially KOAs) have an unmanned night check-in desk.

Wal Mart lot? Never done it. Noisy, bright lights, no hookups, cruising banditos ... Just doesn't seem smart. But your mileage may vary.

Stop beside the road? Not in this lifetime. Put it this way - in the 1960's I used to hitchhike for long distances. Never came close to having a problem. I would have camped beside the road, too, and expected no problems. The world is different now, and I think not just because I am older. It is legal in most of Arizona now, but I wouldn't do it - I've spoken with some state troopers who tell me there are too many banditos, and unlike the 60's, the banditos have no conscience. We could get a better answer from Colorado Cop on this forum, but I'm not sure he is with us any more.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote