Thread: New Truck!
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #12
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
The 2008 GMC 2500HD long bed crew cab has stiffer suspension than the 2002 Chevy 1500HD short bed crew cab. the difference was not noticeable until I loaded either a pair of motorcycles or an ATV in the back of the truck.
I am glad that I have 4wd in both trucks. Where I go it is sometimes mandatory.
This reminds me that another difference between our old 4x4 Tacoma and the new 4x2 F150 is the suspension and ride quality.

Unloaded, the new 4x2 has a much smoother ride. On rough roads, the unloaded 4x4 just bounced all over.

But loaded with the trailer, gear, kayaks and all 1500#, the old 4x4 Tacoma was better, especially once I got the WDH right.

With the 4x2, no matter what I do with the WDH, there's always some squirm. There's also some side-by-side rocking in gusty cross-winds.

My guess is that the shocks on a 4x2 are softer than a 4x4. Also the P-metric highway tires on the 4x2 (Pirelli Scorpion STR) may not be as stiff as the P-Metric All-terrains on the 4x4.

So I'm thinking of switching to LT-metric Michelin LTX M/S2 highway tires and perhaps putting on heavier duty shocks (like Bilstein HD).

In the long run, it might have been better to get a 4x4 for the stiffer suspension alone. But as I never used the 4x4 capabilities in the Tacoma, we opted for the slightly better mileage of the 4x2.