View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 04:47 PM   #27
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Sienna towing capacity

The copy of the worksheet attached is how I would use the referenced spreadsheet to calculate a Toyota Sienna with a TrailManor 3023. The Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating for the Sienna (GCVWR or GCWR, depending how you choose to spell it), is not listed in the information provided on this thread. In my Toyota owner's manual, it is listed in the pages about towing and it is exactly 3500# plus the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), so I used that number here. GVWR in my Toyota is the same on the driver's side door label as it is in the brochure, so I'm assuming that we have that right, as well.

So assuming we have the right figures for this vehicle, everything is within spec in our hypothetical example per the spreadsheet attached, with the possible exception of a tongue weight that absolutely needs to be managed with a weight distributing hitch and by loading heavy things forward in the tow vehicle and aft in the trailer.

For my purposes, in most parts of the country, a Toyota Sienna would be a great tow vehicle for a TrailManor. I don't think I would fear occasional visits with this rig anywhere I've been on the Interstate highway system, but people who live in more vertical locations than mine probably need more tow vehicle capacity.

From the Trailmanor web site:
MODERATE TOWING CONDITIONS
Mostly low altitudes, only occasional steep grades, part time service, normal highway speeds - Models 2619 through 3023 need at least 3500 pound tow rated vehicles and Models 3124 through 3326 need 5000 pound ratings.

SEVERE TOWING CONDITIONS
High mountain towing, full time service - all models will perform better with at least 5000 pound rated tow vehicles.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Copy of TowingCapacityWorksheet.pdf (11.4 KB, 34 views)
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote