View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 01:27 PM   #12
FlyboyTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
I often drag my TM on dirt roads in NV. If you want to avoid dust AND you are willing to create a bit of extra trash, you can pull a roll of 3-inch 'Scotch Blue Painter's Tape" as a kind of inner corner seal - pressed in along the inside "base box", and loosely overlapping the shell seals. You can't press into the seals, because the shells bounce a bit on ruts and potholes in roadways. But this tape overlap overlap does prevent a lot of dust entry.

You could also stuff a full length strip of one sided, 3" wide "pipe insulation" up there, and then tape it in place with 4 or 5 crossing tape strips to hold it in place. (Tape from bottom of the "box", up onto the sides.) I've done this too, and keeps the inside completely spotless. But the seal-up is slower, and you have those rolls of fiberglass insulation to store somewhere.

Your Lexus is a beast, and can easily two any TM - but you will probably want to use a WDH. I use a 6-cylinder 4R with my heavily loaded 2619, and never have trouble on Sierra Nevada passes, or occasional Whitney Portal trips. (Even Mt Rose and Hwy 108, the Sonora Pass - though that last one is best driven uphill from Nevada, downhill into California).
Rick,
Great info! I appreciate the tips. Those are great things to consider. I never want to enter into something blindly so good info is always welcomed!

I was reading on another forum about a person having issues with dust. Turns out she was leaving the windows crack to help keep it cool while traveling and also had the roof vent open. Go figure!

The 4Runner 6 cylinder is easily under estimated for its grunt power! Nice vehicle.
FlyboyTR is offline   Reply With Quote