View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
Axle capacity is one item I left out that could cause another problem. There should be a marking somewhere on the axle that states this rating. Otherwise, unless someone knows the rated capacity, I will ask TM. .................................................. ...............................Taking the calculation for a standard unit (mine is a 2006 model) a little further regarding tire capacity consider:

With the tires carrying a rated 3,700 lbs. (maximum available in 14" size) and the hitch having 400 lbs., the total available capacity is 4,100 lbs, with the tires in top condition. At a full load of 3,956 lbs, according to the TM certificate, the safety margin is only 144 lbs.

Friends, that margin of 144 lbs. seems quite inadequate to me.

What might save some of us is a travel weight well below 3,956 lbs. Still, do you know your loaded weight?

I saw several replies this morning. Thanks for your assistance.
Of course you are generally correct in your analysis of the TM design safety margin. It has been discussed many times on the forum. I'm sure that is why TM decided to go to 15" wheels and tires on all models in 2010. However, in defense of the original TM designers, remember they were trying to get an RV that was very light and easy to tow. As time went on, customers demanded more options and ultimately customers began to overload their TM's (because we always "need" to carry more stuff).

As far as I know, the axle has not changed. The axle tube has a number stamped on it that you can look up on the Dexter Axle web site. It will give you the design weight capacity. I know that TM claims the design axle weight (GAWR) = 3,500# prior to 2004. Since 2004 they claim it is 3,500# plus TM weight not carried by the axle = 3,640#.

Attached is a study I did a year or two ago about TM users actual weight experience on several TM models compared to the factory advertised details.

In addition, it is important to understand that trailer RV tires will not last more than three to five years even if they are not used. Much of the damage to TM waste water plumbing is caused by tire blowout when the tread belt whips around and rips the plumbing off....even if the TM frame does not hit the ground. So...part of your upgrade scheme should include a plumbing protector.

Regards,

Jerry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TM GTW4a.pdf (57.3 KB, 679 views)
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote