View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006, 07:24 PM   #6
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default The normal "Texas Route" to Colorado does have semi-steep grades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
John -

Perhaps I am missing something, but there are no mountain passes (or mountains) between Galveston and Denver. Just a long slow steady climb from sea level to about 5500 feet. A pretty benign trip, though I can't speak particularly to the Bravada's ability to handle a 3023.
My observation is that a majority of Texans who visit Colorado don't approach Denver via the easy route (from the east on I70 as you are likely thinking). Rather they angle northwest across Texas (through Amarillo) and then on to Raton NM where they join Interstate 25 and then go straight north into Colorado. And the trip up I25 definitely has one significant mountain pass (Raton Pass on the NM/Colo state line) as well as Monument "Hill" between Colorado Springs and Denver.

Raton's summit is a tad over 7800 feet in elevation and both sides include about 4 miles of 5% and 6% grades. A moderately powered vehicle (like a Bravado) pulling a heavy 3023 will likely be down to around 35 mph on the climb on either side.

The other significant summit is Monument Hill...about 7300 feet in elevation...between Colorado Springs and Denver. Although a (mostly) very gentle (~1% to 2%) grade on the Colorado Springs side, this summit has about 4 miles of 4% to 5% grades on the Denver side.

And there are several short (roughly 1 mile) but moderately steep (over 4%) climbs elsewhere along this route. For instance, just north of Castle Rock (going both directions) there are 5% grades. And there's a roughly 5% climb (going south) just north of Colorado City (between Walsenberg and Trinidad).

Although there are no really long and steep grades (or really high elevation summits) on I25 between Raton and Denver, there is enough semi-mountainous terrain to likely get the full attention of a Galvestonian. Do-able with the Bravado but it will definitely be working hard on the climbs...and using the transmission to control descent speed (not just the brakes) on the downgrades will be essential. IIRC, there are a couple of semi sharp curves on the north side of Raton and the northbound descent just north of Colorado City seems to really bother people from the flatlands.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote