View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 07:00 AM   #3
BobRederick

John

I think the Bravada is the same as my '02 Envoy including the air bags. It has the 4.3 inline 6. I am real happy with it to this point. If you have the 8 cyl it is an even better TV, but I don't think the 8 was available in '02. As Bill says, you will have some problems in the high mountains, but it will do fine getting you to Denver. I25 is great and straight. With the tow package, the 3.78 rear end, I can pull my 3326 up a 7% grade at 4000 to 6000 feet in Arizona, gaining speed to pass a truck in 2nd gear turning about 3900 RPM and doing 50 mph.

My biggest concern is the wheelbase could be a bit longer. It is really spooky getting oversteer if you brake in a turn. Now that I know what that is/means, it hasn't been a problem. Be ready to put your hand on the manual brake controller at any time. Always know where it is without taking your eyes off the road. Someday, you will need it and it can be a lifesaver. For the oversteer, just be sure to reduce speed before going into the sharp turns. Braking in there exacerbates the problem.

The airbag suspension is a real mystery setup. You about have to try it to get it right as it relevels whenever you hose up the WDH setting. You can measure the nose and tail before and after hitching. Your nose should dip ever so little more than the tail. 1/4" or less difference between the rear and front is significant. My dealer made 1 1/2" difference (nose low) and it ruined 2-17" Michelans to the tune of $500. I use the 3rd link which requires very little torque on the equalizer bars. It's really easy to set up. The dealer had me in the 4th link and that was way too much torque.

I would definitely give it a try and you may be totally satisfied. If not, upgrade someday. No rush. Have fun.