View Single Post
Old 07-06-2017, 08:17 AM   #34
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4girls View Post
I don't want too much weight on those trailer tires. We did upgrade to Taskmaster load range D tires. I worry too much.
Making yourself aware of the weight on your rig's tires - all of them - is a good thing. To make yourself aware, you should weigh your rig. It is cheap and easy, and takes only a couple minutes. This is how you do it.

When you get your TM all packed up and ready to camp, and your new Tacoma all packed up and full of people and stuff, and the TM on the Tacoma's hitch, you drop by your friendly neighborhood CAT Scale (catscale.com), no appointment needed. Go inside, fork over 10 bucks, then go back out and drive onto the scale. That's it - they will print out the weight of your rig on all three axles individually. Now compare the printout weight on the Tacoma's rear axle (called the Drive Axle on the printout) to the Tacoma's rear axle weight rating (called GAWR-Rear) on the sticker in the driver's door.

My point? It is not just the TM tires that count. It is surprisingly easy to overload the rear axle of most any tow vehicle. You need to be aware of the weight on the tow vehicle tires just as much as the trailer tires.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote