View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #31
grakin

I've camped in everything from KOAs to truck stop parking lots to forest roads that have two or three letters after the number (in other words VERY remote).

I'm probably safer in a campground in my camper than in a lot of other places. As for a populated campground, it's unlikely someone will try to physically attack you - too easy to get caught or worse from the bad guy's perspective. And my camper is at least as hard to break into as my home - the difference is that at a populated campground, my neighbor is 10 feet away, not 50 or 100 feet away, so it's a lot more risky to the bad guy.

As for property crime, theft is probably a lot more common. I try not to tempt fate too much and generally don't display things that others might find worth stealing. Don't leave your beer in your cooler - that's the only crime I've ever experienced (probably kids that thought they hit the jackpot - beer that tastes like beer instead of that stuff they usually drink!).

I wouldn't worry about it too much personally. But if it helps you to sleep at night and it's legal wherever you are camping, get trained (if you aren't already) and carry an appropriate defensive tool.