View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 02:29 AM   #1
KParis

Talking Tongue weight of 2619

Thanks again to all who have helped me through the pre-owner process.

Question about tongue weights. I know the 2619 has a tongue weight of 351 pounds according to the brochure. I am assuming this includes the weight of the propane tanks (2) but unfilled. I also assume it doesn't include the battery. 1. Am I right so far? If the filled tanks weigh about 40 pounds more and the battery weighs about 65 pounds (I am guessing), I once again assume these are added to the tongue weight. 2. Right?

Now here are some other questions. The definition of tongue weight at one of the sites says that you add that to the GVW. And that you must be below the GVWR. Okay. But are they talking about the trailer or the tow vehicle? 3. Or does GVW only refer to the tow vehicle? I even Googled it and they don't specify. I was told that I go to the scales and weigh the trailer and then the tow vehicle's front wheels (trailer and tow vehicle are still hooked together). I then repeat with the back wheels and add the two weights together (which is the GVW of the tow vehicle). I then remove the trailer, weight it separately and then weight the tow vehicle alone (front wheels and back wheels). Subtracting the GVW of the tow vehicle with the trailer minus the GVW of the tow vehicle without the trailer gives me the tongue weight. Now I have a tongue weight. 4. What do I do with it? Do I add it to the trailer to make sure I don't exceeds its GVWR or do I add it to the tow vehicle to make sure I don't exceed its GVWR? Whew--I thought it would be so simple to just pick a trailer and use one of the recommended vehicles they say can tow 3500 pounds but noooooo. They are too small. I have to find something that tows 5500+ pounds to be safe.

Once again, I really, really appreciate all the help so many of you have given me. You are much better than the dealers.

THANK YOU, Kathy Paris