View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
TM_Matt

Regarding Good Sams, are you talking about the camping discount program or Emergency Roadside Service? ERS is absolutely critical if you travel any distance from home. It's cheap and even covers things like tire changes. Good Sam is my ERS. Camping World offers GS and at a discount for first year customers. I do not subscribe to any camping discount services but if you check it out and it covers the campgrounds you want to go to, then it's a deal.

Looking at the unit, it would be great if the unit can be set up with the fridge cooled down before arrival. That can take a while and not easy to do when you go to see a trailer - a more expensive appliance to replace but I've only had one fridge problem in several years - due to a manufacturer glitch - not a problem that developed. Also, there are checklists for buying RVs which are pretty universal. I don't have any particular one I prefer but if you search here and other RV forums for an "rv buying checklist", you should find some great sources.

The main "deal breakers" are water damage and associated problems - soft floors, water stains, repairs which were "just fixed" or "easy to fix" (usually means RUN). Also check for rodent damage. Check means "ask" and "inspect". Conflicting stories (and thus, red flags) come out easier that way. Other potential deal breakers are pet history and smoking. Pet dander is easier to deal with but may be intolerable if anyone has severe allergies - smoking odor will probably never be satisfactorily eliminated.

Other than that, I'd go through the whole process of opening *and* closing the unit, soup to nuts, then you or DH will see exactly what it is made of. Everything in the TM should operate smoothly and without brute force. No strange noises. You'll know quickly if something has been "used", "used and abused" or "babied".

The 40 gal fresh water tank is a bonus - so I'd check for that (not familiar if this model/year came with that standard). The swing hitch would enhance future value even if you won't currently store in a garage.

Have fun. The looking and buying is fun so enjoy that process.