View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #14
chopslot

Just returned yesterday from Helena (13 hours round trip drive in 24 hours). I made several copies from various threads from this forum, which I used to direct the inspection. Everything checked out wonderfuly, the trailer was in excellent condition, just as the dealer indicated. So we went ahead and did it! The WDH (1,000 lbs) worked excellent, no sway what so ever...didn't take long to get used to the brake box. My only concern was how it would tow..up hills and most importantly down them, with my V-6. I was very impressed with how the 4runner performed...no complaints. I now wish I would have gone with the v8, but I can definately live with this. I stopped at the weigh station and we came in at 8,740 lbs (three passengers, limited cargo). I used the inventory/item lists from this forum and went to walmart today and picked up nearly all the essentials..due to the feedback of another poster, I purchased a #2 square head driver and checked/tightened all the screws both inside and out that I was able to access. I don't think that I will go with the car stereo option, and instead use some nice portable speakers that I already have (save the money)that run on AA or 9 v ac. I turned the AC on at 5:00 pm (the trailer is south facing, quite warm today) and within 5-10 minutes things were cool. I am going to buy an amber bulb and replace my porch bulb with it. I have some minor maintenance tomorrow I noticed that one of the edges of wood on the inside of a cabinet appears to be chiping away and I am going to somehow glue it in place. The only other item of concern was a 1.5 inch cut in the vinyl flooring near where the vinyl meets the carpet (about an inch from where the metal strip holding the carpet in place is). Fortunately the cut is clean and there was no tearing. I stopped by a flooring center and purchased some liquid seam sealer. This evening I applied the sealer and tried to hold the vinyl in place with a butter knife untill it started setting up. I will let it sit for 24 hours, and hopefully everything works.
I purchased some levelers as was suggested. Seems like the levelers would prevent the wheel chocks from a flush fit. I'm not currently using the levelers as the TM is in the driveway. I am considering having another fantastic fan installed in the Bathroom, has anyone done this? Should be a fairly simple procedure by a qualified person...no? My two sons and I are planning on leaving for a trip in about a week. Were excited.