Thread: Durability.
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 06:35 AM   #5
Crious in Gander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
I'd say it's long overdue if true. My stove and oven combination almost fell out once and I discovered that the screws that were supposed to hold it in place were screwed into styrofoam! I repositioned the screws into the wood and it's been OK. The trim around the ceiling also fell off and broke in several places so I had to reattach it with small screws. The glue that's supposed to hold the fabric around the rear bed doesn't hold anything - I'll have to re-attach it with something - contact cement? The paper covered mdf that's used for trim is junk. So, there is lots of room for improvement and quality control would be a big part of that process.
I don't know if this stuff would be good for what you are looking for but I always have a tube of GOOP in my home. It dries clear but is harder then silicone yet some flexability. It is very durable. I mended my vent cover 3 summers ago and my pop-up is parked in my driveway all year. The vent was exposed to the elements for the full 3 years and we have nasty, long cold winters here with fairly hot summers as well. I had to replace my vent but not because of that damage. When I took it off I was amazed that it had held up exposed for so long and not peeling off anywhere. This stuff sticks to pretty much anything. You just have to treat it like silicone when applying and it is a bit runny so you have to attend to it for a little while until the outside layer hardens a bit. Just wet your finger and smooth it out. Works great though and is resistant to gas, oil etc as well. You can buy it at Walmart or somewhere similar. Just a suggestion.