View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 11:56 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Good questions, Rich -

Others will chime in, but here are my feelings.
Quote:
1. Nothing but a vinyl flap separating me from the outside world. Any issues relating to wind, rain, security, insulation, tearing over time, snagging during setup, etc.?
The vinyl flap has a core, and so is heavier than it looks. So no problems with wind, rain, insulation, tearing, etc. Some people have said that with the right number of two-elbowed arms, a thief could reach in through an un-velcroed area, and either climb in or unlock a lock. I've never heard of it happening, though - it would take a rather knowledgable thief to even know this could be attempted. Before going to this trouble, most thieves would simply bash in a window.
Quote:
2. We had no room to actually open and collapse the unit, something I intend to insist upon prior to possible purchase.
A very wise idea. You want to know exactly how to work this thing. I would not consider buying without opening/closing one in the parking lot.
Quote:
Seems to me that access to the interior (fridge, cabinets, etc. ) is impossible when the thing is collapsed, true? If so, it seems that pre-trip stocking involves opening the stored unit, loading it up, then closing it again before departure. And then, of course, opening it at destination, closing it for the trip home. And then opening it again for cleanout and unstocking and storage.
Correct all around. That is the proper description of a collapsible trailer. And that is why it is so important that the thing open and close easily and reliably, and that you know how to do it.
Quote:
Since we plan lots of shorter trips until my retirement ... is opening and closing it that easy and quick?
Yes. Admittedly it is not as easy as simply opening the door of a full-size TT and walking in - but it isn't hard. And it improves your planning skills!
Quote:
Or can you sneak in while it's collapsed to stick a few items in the cabinets?
Depends on the model. On my 2720SL (slideout model) I have been known to open the front shell a bit, jump up on the hitch, and climb in over the couch. This probably works for the non-slideout models as well. This gives access to the refrig, as well as the ability to close the forgotten vents, and lower the antenna that mysteriously raised itself while we were closing. I can also dump an armload of forgotten clothes on the couch, and properly stow them when we arrive at our destination.
Quote:
3. Outside storage seems rather limited. Camping recliner chairs, bikes, and so on need a place in our lives. Are there sensible and not ridiculously priced options here? I have a cargo carrier but hope not to need it off the back of the TM.
Here you are correct, and it is one of the limitations of ANY folding camper. You'll want to carry as much of this stuff as possible in the wayback of your tow vehicle, or on the tow vehicle's roof. You will also learn to do without a lot of it, I'm sure. We gave up on big folding recliner chairs (though we still carry standard canvas non-recliners), big outdoor rugs, and other "amenities" very quickly. On the other hand, bikes are easily carried on a rack on the back of the tow vehicle. Check out Allen Racks to find ones that don't involve the hitch. There are also hitch-mounted racks, of course.
Quote:
4. How is side-to-side leveling and stabilizing handled ... are the built-in jacks adequate for most reasonable campsites?
Differing opinions have been expressed on this group. Use the Search tool. Many of us carry short lengths of plank (blocks) or Lynx levelers, and simply drive the low side of the TM up onto them. Others prefer to crank the jacks - which are plenty strong enough.
Quote:
5. The infamous recycling toilet. In a real world setting, how many flushes, days, etc. can you expect before things get really unpleasant?
In my experience, things don't get unpleasant if you use the right deodorant, and the recommended dose of it. Use the Search tool for discussions of this topic.
Quote:
I'd hate to have to hitch up and travel to the communal sewer dump every 2-3 days while staying at a state park.
You don't have to do this! If you camp in this situation, you would bring along a "Blue Boy" or "Blue Tote" - a heavy plastic container into which you dump the contents of your tanks. See them at CampingWorld.com. Then you roll the tote to the dump location. Again, use the Search tool - there has been lots of discussion.
Quote:
I realize this is subjective, dependent on your usage pattern, etc. but am looking for some kind of ballpark input.
Most people realize about 3 days between dumps. Some are able to go longer - depends on how much you are willing to use the campground restrooms.
Quote:
6. In a pinch, could my 122 lb fit but slight wife open and shut this thing?
Yes. In fact, there are some tricks that help in the opening and closing of the unit, especially if you get an electric tongue jack.

Hope this helps

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote