View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
SSRLVA

Default Just saying Howdy.

Well I am a new guy to the forums and to camping. Well not camping per se as all the wife and I have ever done was in a tent. She and I once did 5 states in 10 days in nothing but a tent and a Jetta. That was a good trip....

I am getting old now, and with a kid on the way, I am looking to camp again (taken 5 years off from camping...) and I want to be more comfortable while doing it.

I know NOTHING about camping with a trailer. I am perusing this site and can not figure out what dry camping is. is there wet camping? I have no clue how to hook one these things up or how to make any of the doo dads work. I don't know how to hook up the thing to a camp site. I don't know how large a camp site I need. I saw it mentioned soemwhere that some camp sites don't allow pop-ups? Why would that be? I don't know what I would need for equipment.. and man the list goes on.

All that being said.... I LOVE how these trailers look. I mean the amenities, combined with the fact that it is collapsable for easy towing... AND fits in a a garage, I can barely stand waiting to buy one! I am probably going to wait for a year until the kiddo is born and has a few months on him before heading out, but it just looks like so much FUN!

I own a Honda Ridgeline, which is not the optimal tow vehicle I know after reading some of the entries on the site. I belong to the ridgelineowners club, and there are guys there that say they tow 4900 pounds regularly without issues! jinkies! but I am only looking for a 2619 or perhaps a 2720 for a little extra sleeping room for me and the missus. I have seen a mounting system that allows a canoe to be secured over the bed of the truck onto a roof rack that leaves the trailer hitch open. I think this would still put me at less the 4000 pounds of total gear being hauled which should leave me plenty of power as long as I am not trying to climb Mt. McKinnley at 70 MPH......

Anyway, thanks for the great site and all of the great information. Hopefully I will be smiling with a TM rolling behind me in 12 months.. especially after being armed with expertise from you all!