View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 06:55 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jon & Rita -

When we had a flat last year, we ran into the jack problem you describe. With a flat tire, the frame ends up pretty close to the ground, so you need a short jack to get under it initially. But as you observed, a short jack doesn't have much throw, and my jack's 6" or so of lift wasn't enough.

THE HARD WAY: When my bottle jack reached the top of its extension, I put some blocks under the frame, lowered the jack, put some more blocks under the jack base, and pumped the jack up again. Two lifts was (barely) enough to do the job. Good thing - I didn't have enough blocks to go for a third lift.

EASIER: Instead of putting blocks under the frame, I think it would have been faster and easier to simply lower the stabilizers at the end of the first lift. Then remove the jack, block up its base, and go for the second lift.

BTW, it is probably important to remember the instructions (in the owner's manual) to place the jack under the main fore-and-aft frame rail - not under one of the side wing rails, and not under the axle.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote