View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Goodyear Marathons - overinflate/overspeed

We have talked a lot about Goodyear's overinflate/overspeed statement in the past, and no one was quite sure how to interpret the rather ambiguous wording on their web site. I spotted the following this morning on RV Tire Safety http://www.rvtiresafety.com/2013/10/...ype-tires.html. "TRA" is the Tire and Rim Association. I have no idea who they are.

I'll be interested in any comment from wmtire.

Bill

Quote:
For Goodyear Marathon tires only:
There is a Goodyear Tech bulletin PSB#2011-13 that uses information from TRA.
The tech bulletin says that the normal max speed for Marathon ST type tires is 65 mph. This speed can be increased up to 75mph only if the inflation pressure is increased by 10 psi. This new inflation can be 10 psi higher than the pressure molded on the sidewall of the tire that is associated with the tire max load.
The load does not increase beyond the load molded on the tire sidewall.
Goodyear does not support or condone operation above 75 at any time.
The trailer owner is responsible to confirm the rim is rated for the new inflation level.
While TRA indicates a further increase in speed might be achieved Goodyear has decided not to adopt this option.

The person I talked with at Tire Rack said they had already changed their web site to indicate this applied to Goodyear tires only and that they were attempting to learn if any other ST tire manufacturers were willing to make a similar change. As of Saturday Oct 19, 2013 they had not identified any other tire manufacturer willing to make an increase in max speed above 65.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Info added 10/26/13 10:51 AM EDT
Example:
If you have a Goodyear Marathon ST225/75R15 LR-D it is rated for 2540# @ 65psi and a max speed of 65 mph. If you increase the cold inflation to 75psi the tire would now be rated for 2540# @ 75psi and a max speed of 75 mph.
The example currently only is OK for Goodyear Marathon ST tires as I have not seen a published document from any other tire manufacturer.

The pressure increase must not exceed the max pressure capability of the wheel. You need to find a max pressure rating stamped on the wheel or get something in writing from the wheel MANUFACTURER.

Bill is offline   Reply With Quote