View Single Post
Old 05-18-2007, 10:42 AM   #5
Doug W.

I have a 2003 Ford E-150 conversion van I tow a 3124KS with. You did not state the engine size on your van. Mine has the 5.4L, so engine power is not a problem.

You could get by without a WDH, but I would not recommend it. TMs have the axle futher back on the trailer, which makes them more stable and have less sway. It also increases the tongue weight. I get quite a bit of drop when I put my TM on my van without the WDH. That comes in handy getting my TM to my lower driveway without scrapping. It is not good for normal towing for two reasons. First, it points your headlight higher which will be irritating to other drivers. Second, it can affect handling. I think the full size Ford van is beefy enough for that not to be a problem, but I am not going to try it.

I also recommend extention mirrors. I have the nice factory mirrors with the upper normal mirror and the small very convex lower mirror. I can see fine out of the left mirror I can see behind the trailer and really do need the extention mirror for the left side. I do not know why since I have the lower convex mirror, but the right upper mirror is the normal slightly convexed mirror many vehicles have now. I can not see behind the trailer at all out of the right mirrror and need the extention mirror for that side. Since the come in pairs, I go ahead and use both.